Long-Vacant Campus Building Dedicated
By Hugh Biggar
The former Keane Hall in the heart of Catholic University’s campus gained a new name and a new life in a dedication ceremony on Monday, Sept. 8.
Cutting the ribbon at the dedication of McGivney Hall (from left): Bishop Lori, Mr. Anderson, Archbishop Wuerl and Father O'Connell.
Leaders of the Washington archdiocese, CUA and the Knights of Columbus rechristened the limestone building as McGivney Hall in a ceremony that included prayers and a blessing of the building. Speaking at the renovated building’s dedication were Most Rev. Donald W. Wuerl, archbishop of Washington and chancellor of Catholic University; Most Rev. William E. Lori, bishop of Bridgeport (Conn.), and chairman of CUA’s Board of Trustees; Very Rev. David M. O’Connell, C.M., president of Catholic University; and Carl A. Anderson, supreme knight of the Knights of Columbus. Earlier, they participated in a celebratory Mass across the CUA mall in the Crypt Church of the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception.
The Knights of Columbus, a Catholic fraternal organization that has befriended and supported CUA for more than a century, donated $8 million for the renovations, which were necessary to bring the building online after it had been vacant for more than a dozen years. The building’s new name honors Knights of Columbus founder Rev. Michael J. McGivney (1852–1890). An outdoor sculpture of Father McGivney is also on display at the south entrance of the building.
Formerly home to the physics department and administrative offices of the Columbus School of Law, the 50-year-old building now houses the Pontifical John Paul II Institute for Studies on Marriage and Family, a graduate school of theology affiliated with both Catholic University and the Pontifical Lateran University in Rome. The institute previously was located across Michigan Avenue from the main campus.
|The sculpture of Rev. Michael McGivney is unveiled at the south entrance of the building. |
The five-story McGivney Hall houses four classrooms and the 120-seat Keane Auditorium (retaining the name Keane in honor of CUA’s first rector, Archbishop John Joseph Keane).
Click here to watch the dedication ceremony.
Back to Top
Last Revised 29-Sep-08 03:42 PM.